Friday, April 29, 2005

Financial Hardship??

Answering Machine:

Beep....Hi hon, this is your mother (does she think I don't recognize her voice?). Brother2 told me that you want to come to my retirement dinner. Well...sigh...you see, you would have to buy tickets, and I think that's silly, not to mention you would have to take off work. I really don't want to cause financial hardship (financial hardship??) for you kids so...well, call me. Love you....beep.

Husband: She does know that we have jobs, right?

Me: Sigh...She's going to make this difficult.

Husband: Doesn't dinner in your town cost, what, 6 bucks?

Me: Sigh...Sigh...Where did "financial hardship" come from? Who says that? Sigh

4 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Hoo boy. Have fun with that. My mom and I, after much mama trauma drama, are now at the point where I can (and do) give her shit for being p-a. And then she rolls her eyes and tells me to be quiet. And then we bake cookies.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger muse said...

I'm at a point where I tell my parents to just shut up about "you shouldn't have, oooh, that must have been too expensive" and such, and just be happy and enjoy the gift, cake, or whatever it is that I have brought them or done for them... LOL

I'm not above doing a Dr. Evil (from Austin Powers) impersonation: "Zip it!" ;)

I think that it's a parent thing.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

My mom sometimes truly believes that people don't really want to support her. Her mother (who Brother2 and I affectionately call "Evil Wombat") was horrible. Satan would have been kinder to his kid. My mother is evidence for what verbal and physical abuse can do to a person.
It's hard for her to understand that she is unconditionally loved even though she loves unconditionally. Sometimes she is pulling the "mother guilt trip". Other times she believes it to be true. It's hard to make her believe that we want to be there. She is going to be overwhelmed at her party when she sees the hundreds of people who are coming...

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger muse said...

Wow, that will be something indeed! I had a birthday dinner party at a restaurant this year, and we were only 5 (me with 4 _real_ friends), and I was completely thrilled to have these people genuinely happy to be there to celebrate little old me (a first for me). I can't even imagine how she'll feel being showered by displays of appreciation by hundreds of people!! :) That's terrific!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home