Monday, April 18, 2005

Keep Your Pecker Up

In honor of my language kick today and the 85-erection-focused-junk emails in my inbox, I would like to share with you a very useful phrase. I have a problem with cliches--I screw them up 99% of the time. I will say things like "I shot myself in the ass", "the shit hit the roof", etc. My sister-in-law made flash cards for me to study, detailing her favorite cliches. My favorite one is "keep your pecker up". It means "keep your chin up" since "pecker" referred to something completely different than today's usage. Still, it does the job--I can't help but keep my pecker up when I hear it.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Heehee. I like that.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Just reading your archives and I found this post. You are, if nothing else, consistant.

'Keep your pecker' from an idiomatic standpoint does mean 'keep your chin up' but pecker=nose in England. Thus, saying that 'keep your pecker up' is the same as 'keep your chin up' is sort of like saying 'the shit hit the roof' is the same as 'the shit hit the fan'.

I used to know a funny joke about a British man using the expression 'keep your pecker up' in the US but alas, middle age has robbed me of that memory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home