Thursday, April 28, 2005

Psychology of Aesthetics

I'm very interested in the psychology of aesthetics. For instance, I think it's interesting that I am psychologically pleased by:

blue, green, cream, white, grey, reds with blue or purple tones, soft yellow (but only if is accenting the aforementioned colors)
numbers comprised of 2, 6, and/or 8
words with the "sh" sound in the last syllable: capricious, loquacious
soft edges and circles
shiny things
textured cloth

Conversley, I get irrated by:
primary colors, combinations of brown, yellow, red, or orange, orange alone, bright pink
numbers with 1, 3, 4, or 7 (I'm a bit apathetic about 5, 9, and 0)
random words like: subpoenia, plug, moist, cataract
triangles
crumpled or wrinkled things
flat cloth like cotton sheets

The lists go on and on. Aesthetics are what make me pick up a book (by the cover, I know), buy music, stop on a person's website, etc...It's so very fascinating, and I'm such a marketing sucker.

I wish I knew someone who specialized in this area so I could get some good resources from them. There is so much crap out there on the subject, and it's difficult to wade through the literature.

I found this site, but it was so aesthetically unpleasing that I couldn't possibly trust it. Grey and red together--are you serious? Gag.

7 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

The numbers interest me. Any particular reason for the numbers? I don't like certain numbers as much as others, because I don't like their personalities.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I don't know. I can't watch movies made in the late 60's thru the 70's either, they make me nauseous (literally). It has something to do with the camera filters, music, and color tints. I have never been able to put my finger on it, but I think it has something to do with my childhood. Sometimes when I see a movie with those characteristics, I can actually perceive the smell of cigarette smoke (my father smoked when I was young, and that was back when everyone smoked inside public buildings) which also makes me nauseous. This is weird stuff, and that's why I've been so interested in learning more.

As for the numbers, those numbers just look "prettier" to me. I can remember number strings that are "pretty" much easier than "ugly" ones. I don't really understand it.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I like 7s. Especially 27 and 37.

And greys and blues, with accents of reds and yellows, even though I actually hate yellow.

I don't care for shiny. I like thick cottons, especially flannel.

Our sensory integration therapist would probably know...

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

37 makes my head hurt...the brain is bizarre

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Lol!

I like how the 7 anchors the 3.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Yeah, 37 makes my head hurt too...and my neck and my back and all the rest of me. Oh. You meant just the number. Ah.

Yeah, that all sounds very sensory-integration-y.

But 27...I am ALL about the 27. And the 42.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Okay, now, 42 makes me feel all squiggy. Eeeew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home