Sunday, April 24, 2005

Social Functions

I had the must-attend-at-husband's-request social function this weekend. I was proud of myself because I only got into one political argument. A drunk-young man thought he was being witty by yelling out that he was glad the "German-guy is pope because the Brazilian guy would have spent all of his time trying to open the borders". My husband looked at me pleadingly, but he knew there was no way in hell that my mouth wasn't already open. What is very scary is that the guy probably works on the Hill since most of the people there were the "intelligent and educated" types. I suggested that he watch the movie "A Day Without a Mexican" and then go out and buy a map so that he wouldn't sound so incredibly ridiculous next time. I also patiently explained twice to another man that I was getting my doctorate in neuroscience, not studying nursing. People hear what they want to, I guess.

On a less serious note, I spent a lot of time thinking, "wow, I'm the only woman here not wearing 3-inch strappy heals (it was freezing outside)". It was good, however, that I was wearing boring shoes because had I been dressed like everyone else, I would have been staring at my feet thinking, "wow, I'm the only woman here whose toes don't look like candy". Pedicures are not in the budget right now.

Needless to say, my toenails are now cotton-candy pink, albeit I'm not sure how much polish I managed to get on the actual nail. Maybe if I'd actually managed to sit through an episode of "Sex and the City" just once without getting bored and flipping, I would feel a little less awkward out on the town. I doubt it though. I do try so very hard.

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I have been wearing sandals all week--without painted toenails!--in flagrant defiance of all that is good and holy. I'm a rebel!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

If I had your strength...oh, the damage I could do to this world;)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Great post (found you through PK) - it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who can't afford pedicures and actually disliked Sex and the City.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Your not the only one. In fact, I suspect there are more of us out there than one would guess. If I'm ever rich, I will personally buy you one pedicure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home