Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Bovine Spermatogenesis and Dung Beetles

So, you may be perplexed by the title of this post. Yes, I study the brain. Yes, I study neurological disorders. Yes, I study rats.

Then why, you may ask, did I just spend 4 hours reading papers on sperm and spermatogenesis, including several papers that investigated bovine (cow) spermatogenesis?

Because, that is what science is. Research involves spending a lot of time reading, analyzing, and trying to make connections among things that are seemingly unrelated. Many times the answer to your question is already out there. You just have to think outside of the box and find it.

This is why I say a lot of random shit. This is why no one will let me play quiz games with them. It is not that I'm some genius (because I'm definitely not)--I just have to learn a lot of information for any given hypothesis, and I have a lot of hypotheses.

My sister-in-law asked me one time if I have a random fact generator in my brain that forces me to blurt out all sorts of bizarre things, making connections that are often weird or obscure during seemingly normal conversations. I guess the answer is yes. I know a lot of random stuff because I read a lot of random stuff. I spending hours every day reading, reading until my eyes dry out and my head screams for me to stop. All those facts just sit up there, waiting to come out at the right (or sometimes wrong) moment.

So when my husband says that someone was as "slow as a snail", I'm thinking "slow as an 8-foot-wide turd". Then I'm thinking how a turd could get that wide, what condition may cause such an event, and what the physiological outcome would be should such a turd come to pass (pun totally intended). Then, I think of dung beetles rolling such a find into a ball, and how many dung beetles it would take to push that ball. Then I'm thinking of the male competition rituals among dung beetles, and how they war for their mates. I'm then remembering an article I read (7-years ago) on how male-dung beetles guard their females in tunnels, but sometimes sneaky-pervert males (who are smaller and who don't have big-ass horns like the "guard males") sneak in and do the nasty with the female while her "spouse" isn't looking. Ooo, then I remember coming across this site (very funny reading) not so long ago. Then my husband asks me why I am smiling because his story was really not funny, and he was really stressed and needed some comfort. Of course I couldn't explain why I was smiling and what I was thinking; there is a limit to how insane I'm allowed to be.

So, if you want to know anything about spermatogenesis (or dung beetles)--I can officially answer your questions as of today.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Did I already tell you to have a fantastic week? If not, well, do it. Thanks for existing, She.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger muse said...

What do I see on my first visit back to your blog after a week of blogosphere withdrawal symptoms?

"Bovine Spermatogenesis and Dung Beetles"

I love you gal! I love your eclectic mind! LOL

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I aim to please:)
I'm glad to see you are back!
If only everyone appreciated my...well, whatever it is that makes me who I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home