Saturday, May 07, 2005

Just Buy the Car

Me: If you want to buy a new car, just buy one. I'll go with you and help even.

Mom: Well, I will have to get something cheap, yet I'm not sure if smaller car will be able to get up and down the driveway.

Me: I thought dad plowed the driveway.

Mom: He did, but it's been raining a lot lately, so now he drives through the yard to get to the house.

Me: He's driving through the yard...WTF? There's a friggin' orchard in the front yard. The neighbors are going to turn us in to the zoning people...again. Never mind. I thought you were getting a chunck of change with your retirement.

Mom: Well I was going to give some of that to you kids.

Me (Inside Voice): My life is a Seinfeld Episode...I'm going to strangle her.

Me (Outside Voice): We don't need your money; that's your money. Get yourself a car. You can't live in BFE without a friggin' car. Please do not give us that money.

Mom: Well, I don't know how I'll be able to afford one, maybe I'll lease one.

Me: That's stupid, you'll go over your miles. It's 20 miles to the grocery store for Christ's Sake.

Mom: Well, you know Daughter, I don't have that much money. They want at least $5,000 down.

Me: For what, a Jag? Where did you hear that?

Mom: Your father.

Me: He's lying. Why would he say that? Don't listen to him--he's crazy.

Mom: So I don't need $5000 down?

Me: Sigh...don't talk to dad about this anymore. I'm coming the first week in June--we're getting you a car.

Is it just me, or is my dad going too far with his "jokes". He's going to make her insane, and I'm going to be left with the pieces. We need to teach him a lesson...

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Look at some off lease cars. The beauty of an off lease car is that it has low milage and has been well maintained (per the contract) but most of the big depreciation has already happened. Also, I really hate to say this but, if you know a man who is good at negotiating car deals it can help. I hate that but it's true. Last but not least, put what she wants out to bid on the internet and don't leave the dealership until they have met the very lowest price and that means out the door and off the lot. You can save thousands that way.

Good luck and yes, I think you Dad has gone too far.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty hard core at the dealership--I think it's left over from my Kirby Vacuum selling days. It is good having a guy though, especially in my home town. My dad has lost 80% of his hearing, so it's frustrating to have him involved in the negotiations (a lot of huhs? and whats?). I think my husband is going, and he always gets more respect than me. Sigh...

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Tell your dad you did put down $5,000...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home