Saturday, May 07, 2005

Mean Girls

It's funny because the girls that made me cry in elementary school were also the ones who abused me as a teenager. Maybe this explains why.

Associated Press via ABC.com:

"One thing researchers do know is that childhood slights can have lasting impacts."

Tell me about it. No matter how successful I become, not matter how much I bloom, I can pinpoint the "mean girls" from a mile away, even in their adult-form. They still have a power over me that I can not explain. They still make me cry inside and make me run for Baskin Robbin's Rum Raisin icecream. Even when you know something on the rational level, you still have no power over the emotional. I guess it didn't help that I moved to a city where mean girls dominate and where their very essence permeates all social venues.

5 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

You just need to figure out how many of the ones from your younger days have ended up eeking out a living in some low level job, married and divorced repeatedly, or otherwise living vacuous, empty lives of desperation.

Hopefully that will make you feel better and somehow diminish the power these beyotches have over you.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I love you--I especially love "these beyotches". The psychological impact of peer relationships during childhood is so bizarre. I know so many beautiful, successful women who still feel like the "dorks" they used to be. I worry because I see a lot of moms encouraging "mean girl" behaviors (although I don't think they aware of what they are doing). Thanks for the support. I reaaly liked your recent post, by the way.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I read that article, too, and it made me ill.

Maybe they can isolate the Mean Girl gene...

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger muse said...

I used to be prime Mean Girl target (painfully shy, had glasses since I was 7, grew very fast so I was always the tallest in class, had the highest grades too -which teachers kept pointing out-, and to top it off my parents taught me to speak a high grade of French when everyone else was talking in slang... which I eventually learned, but too late). I probably still am a prime example of uncool misfit, but mostly, I tend to avoid Mean Girls and surround myself with true friends only, so I don't get hurt by them often these days.

I'm trying to be a Kind Girl. Actively reaching out to those who seem down, shy, uncomfortable, etc. Most of the time this is welcome. Sometimes I make a friend this way. More often, I just feel good for a little while, knowing that I am sending out a countering vibe in the Great Out There. :)

Screw ya all, Mean Girls, there are plenty of good gals out there who've got much more class than you'll ever have!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Hee...hee...Down with the girls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home