Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Boat and The Paintbrush

Today I had to do the thing that I hate to do the most in the lab. Then, I got blood in my eye (I know, but the safety goggles are sooooo ugly). Then, my bus broke down, and I had to get off and wait 35-min for the next bus. The next bus had no air-conditioning. As I started to warm up, I began to reek of paraformaldehyde, making the boy sitting next to me get up and move.

When I was getting ready to get on my third bus of the day, I dropped the cap to my soda. My soda was only 3/4 full, but you can't have open containers on the bus, and I have issues about the 5-second rule so I had to throw my drink away. I don't want to hear it--people pee on that sidewalk.

As I sat on the bus dehydrated and needing some caffeine in a bad way, the woman next to me started screaming something about a boat and a paintbrush over and over and over again. As I've mentioned before, I find it rude to get up and move unless the person next to you has scabies, lice, or a bad case of pervertedness. I just sat there trying to pretend that everything was normal, that this woman was not screaming, with her left breast falling out of her shirt, about a boat and a paintbrush. I've learned not to ask people who are screaming to themselves if they are O.K.--don't ever do it.

Then I got off of the bus, tripped crossing the street in a busy intersection causing a clusterfuck of angry drivers, and limped home.

All that and I'm still smiling. Some days I get so down over the little things, and other days it doesn't matter what happens. Besides, this is the kind of day every blogger dreams about.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Bwahahaha!

Great writing, Roxanne. I would have had to ask the woman what the hell she was talking about, though.

You rock.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Several times I've asked people who are screaming and/or crying if they are O.K. The results: I've been swung at twice (I'm pretty quick when a fist is flying towards me), yelled at, followed by a man who went from yelling about Christ to singing "Oh Susanna is a whore", and told to "Fuck Off" numerous times. It's hard for me not to ask because I always wonder, what if they really needed something?

Thanks Trisha--that means a lot.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Ooooh, I don't like people trying to hit you.

Bastards!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home