Monday, June 06, 2005

Finished

So, if you hadn't figured it out already, I was out of town last week. I went back home to attend my mom's retirement party and then to pack her room up for the final time. I don't think anyone can imagine how long it takes to pack up 36-years worth of teaching supplies; my mom didn't get rid of many things through the years.

The party was nice--very emotional. A lot of teachers who had retired in past years came. It was very weird seeing all of the people who taught me how to read and write sitting in one room together. Brother1 and I gave small speeches, and that made my mom pretty happy. Other than the food tasting like cardboard (the caterers in my town are all over the age of 65, and salt is not an option), everything went well, and I think my mom was pleased.

The rest of the weekend was kind of a blur. I remember spending a lot of time trying to convince my father that even though eating a pound of peanuts and a Krispy Kreme before dinner made him eat less food during the actual meal, that didn't mean this pre-dinner plan was a good diet strategy. He claimed there was a study in the paper about how you should eat peanuts before dinner so that you eat less of your main course. I said that the study was not a flex plan, adding a lard-coated donut was not part of the experimental design, and I was pretty sure that the study did not cover eating unlimited peanuts. I also pointed out that the study never said anything about having peanuts as an after dinner snack, a father-inspired adaptation to the diet.

Needless to say, I'm back and ready to work...kind of. For some reason, family time always leaves me tired and disoriented, making my world here at work a little shaky on the first day back.

1 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Welcome back!

Let's nap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home