Monday, June 20, 2005

Mancala, Othello, and Violence

Jen posted about having a game night, and it made me think about my favorite games growing up. Games like Monopoly and Risk were out of the questions because a.) they took too long for my attention-lacking family and b.) they caused so many fights over strategy and rules that my mother banned them under the guise of "you kids are going to give me a heart attack" rule. Even Candy Land resulted in some near-death experiences. It wasn't until I met my husband that I was healed enough to attempt holding family game nights again.

One game that my husband and I can actually play together (he can't stand that I will not make a deal in Monopoly until I'm ready to make a deal, which is usually never) is Mancala. I'm trying to work Othello into the rotation too, but for now he's convinced that Mancala is the only game we can play without causing physical and/or mental injury to one another. Since I found two online versions, I wanted to share them with you all in the spirit of family-fun night.

7 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger trisha said...

I will play Othello with you. Or Stratego.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Oh, and we get together with friends and play Password, but we use a 30-second egg timer and try to plow through the whole card. Sort of like Pyramid. Pyramid crossed with Password. Passamid. Pyraword.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

If I had friends, I would include them in family-fun night. People just don't like me (in real life)for some reason. That's OK, who needs 'em;)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I fins that very hard to believe.

I am really alive and I like you plenty.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger : Joseph j7uy5 said...

Free advice, worth every penny: NEVER try Scrabble with your family.

By the way, I agree with the bit about what's on the grass.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Trish: Thank you for liking me. I didn't mean to imply that you were among the walking dead.

Josephj7uy5
Thanks for the advice. Since I can't spell, we usually play phonetics scrabble or street scrabble. You should try it sometime.

We also like to play the game Cranium. We are waiting for the next expansion pack, however, because my husband and I accidently remembered the answers to all of the questions. If you haven't played it, you should try. The molding clay is so very fun.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Oh, wow, clay? I'll have to check out the Cranium.

Many of us (bloggers) make a distinction between real life and the Internet lives we have...but the Internet is a part of my real life...I dunno.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home