Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Men's Nipples

I know this post is going to result in some nasty google hits, but it's worth it.

A couple of posts back I mentioned some questions that I was asked at a party.


I just wanted to share with you an entertaining article about one of the questions. Now, there is a watered-down-medical version here, but I like the Salon article better.

From Salon (by Susan McCarthy ):

"Quite a few people end up with an extra, or supernumerary nipple somewhere along the trail of the milk ridge, however. (One man had five.) ... In fact, many people with supernumerary nipples don't know they have them until ...Extras often run in families -- Darwin cites two brothers who each had a supernumerary nipple."

"Darwin, who thought about everything, naturally wondered about nipples. He collected case reports of men and women with extra nipples (which he called mammae erraticae), including the case of a woman who allegedly nourished a child via an extra nipple on her thigh."

If that doesn't hook you, I don't know what will. Nipples and Darwin in one article--sweet.

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Men have nipples?

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Someone told me that they do--I could be wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home