Tuesday, June 21, 2005

This Fish: On Love and Talking Stomachs

This is a wonderful post from This Fish Needs a Bicycle about family, love, pears versus apples, and talking stomachs. It reminded me of my own talking stomach years ago. I was 13, and my best-friend's sister was killed in a car accident--her sister was only 20-years old. The viewing was incredibly sad and surreal; young death brings many, many visitors. My poor friend had to stand there, thanking her hundreds of guests for coming, hugging them through their tears. I am a firm believer that guests are sometimes more painful to bear than the actual death. I didn't know what to do, so I just stood there, helpless. At some point my friend turned to me and asked, "Will you please do the kermit voice for me"? The kermit voice was my artistic interpretation of frog-speak, if we were in a world where such things could happen. So, even though it didn't seem right, I began talking in the kermit voice--I talked for the next 2-hours. My friend laughed as though she was in some sort of delirious state, and, for a brief moment in time, she removed herself from the awful reality of what had happened.

The things we do for love and friendship.

Read it if you're into this kind of stuff.

2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger trisha said...

I love this fish. I hadn't read her in a long time, so thanks for pointing to this post.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Yes - it was a great post....makes me miss my sisters and wish that we had been closer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home