Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Maybe it was just my right (or wrong) brain

As I was reading a post over at Corpus Callosum on the link between dopamine agonists and gambling (some day I'll post on my theory of DA and the origins of the seven deadly sins), I began to think about the actual corpus callosum.

If you don't already know, your brain's left and right side communicate largely via the corpus callosum. Much of what we know about functional specialization in the left and right brain hemispheres and communication between the two arises from split brain patients. These are people who have had their corpus callosum snipped (corpus callosotomy). Their two brain hemispheres, in turn, no longer communicate "normally". I remember seeing a fabulous and bizarre video in a clinical course several years ago on the topic. There was one patient who took hours to dress herself because one hand would button her shirt while the other would unbutton it. I couldn't find that video, but I did find this one: The man with two brains.

The whole point of this post was, in addition to giving you some cool sites to go to, was to declare that I now believe that I was not body-snatched. Being body snatched is way to in the realm of scientology for my liking. My scientific conclusion is that I had a mini-stroke yesterday, temporarily paralyzing the connection between my right and left hemisphere and causing me to behave "oddly".

That is a way more logical conclusion than my first.

6 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Amy B. said...

That video is awesome!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger James said...

"My scientific conclusion is that I had a mini-stroke yesterday, temporarily paralyzing the connection between my right and left hemisphere and causing me to behave "oddly"."

Wow ... you neuroscientists are odd. Most of us would just chalk it up to having been Monday; that's enough for me.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Ha!! James, good one!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

That was so interesting! But what does it mean that I can draw the separate half-boxes?

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Are you left handed, PK?

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger : Joseph j7uy5 said...

Thank you for the references. Life seems to be better with a working corpus callosum, but perhaps it would be more interesting without.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home