Wednesday, July 27, 2005

No Punishment Will Be Severe Enough

I found this on Trisha's fancy sideblog. It made me so sick that I thought I was going to pass out. I didn't want to see it--I didn't want to believe. This article evoked such a strong response in me that I felt I should force all of you to read it too.

Here's an excerpt:

"Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, is accused of offering one of his players the money to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the game because of his disability."

It doesn't surprise me--not one bit. My husband tried to be a pitching coach for a little-league team once. The parents' behaviors disgusted him so badly that he left one day and never returned.

We can try to cure mental illness, cancer, and AIDS, but we will never be able to cure pure ignorance and cruelty.

5 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Piece of Work said...

I know, I saw that article there, too. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I refereed (spelling?) soccer in the eighth grade. For five-six year-olds. I had to throw grown men out of the stands because they were behaving so badly.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Rusty said...

And the other little boy took the money and made the attack!!!! I'd like to say 'unbelievable' but it sadly isn't.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger James said...

How can this be a surprise? It's been happening on some level for what seems like forever --- what about the hockey coach that was killed by an irate father? You go from that extreme to this kind of garbage where a coach has one of his players go after another player, but come on, really, how many times have you seen characters like this in movies? For as much as we'd like to think they don't exist they sure enough do, and some of them are working in the same places we all are.

There's a total lack of reverance and respect in some people, and this is the kind of horse manure that comes of it. It's a shame, but it's out there.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger sue said...

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home