Thursday, August 11, 2005

It's a Love/Hate Kind of Thing

I got the feedback on my paper from the reviewers. One reviewer liked my paper, and the other reviewer hated it. Well, maybe hate is a strong word. Their comments sure seemed to be overly...uh...critical. Those would be the proper terms to use, I guess.

The good news is that they have given me the option to resubmit the paper if I address the reviewers' concerns. The journal has a high impact factor and gets lots of manuscripts so they don't give you this option unless they think that you might be able to get the paper up to par. They also complimented the clarity of my writing (you would never have thought I could write clearly by this blog) and the interesting nature of the work--go me.

The bad news is that the negative reviewer had some issues reflecting his or her lack of knowledge in the field. Given that few people in neuroscience are looking at the proteins/cellular markers that I investigated in my studies, this is understandable. Unfortunately, most people familiar with the type of work I'm doing are cancer researchers. I can't really ask for a oncologist to review a neuroscience paper--that type of thing would be a little out-of-bounds. I just have to make this reviewer think outside of their comfort zone. That could go really well or it could turn in to a train wreck. Regardless, you can't say "bite me" in response to a ridiculous comment/suggestion and rewording "bite me" is quite difficult so I will have to be a bit more of a sycophant than I normally would choose to be.

We'll see what happens. At least they didn't reject it--that was all I was striving for the first time around. Wish me luck in kissing some major ass.

4 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

revise and resubmit is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS good, in my book. It's more work than "minor revisions," but if it's not a REJECT (which I have seen far too many of in my short career), then there is most definitely hope for the paper. so... CONGRATS!!!

It does sound like you just encountered a badly matched reviewer. Perhaps you can correct some of the reviewer's lack of knowledge in the letter about your changes to the manuscript.

this sounds like great news all around, though. seriousy!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Congrats! I guess the one good thing is that it could challenge you to help people who are not in your area understand your work in revising it towards the one reviewer's comments. I see this as good just because I imagine it will come up in the future.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Thanks for the support. I'll take revising over rejection any day.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger sue said...

LUCK!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home