Monday, August 08, 2005

Things I Learned in the Last 48 hr


You should always know how high water will splash on impact after falling any given distance before going camping, as you will most definitely be using an outhouse.Posted by Picasa

DEET-free bugsprays are for suckers and hippies who love to be bitten by West-Nile filled bombers.

Always carry your own roll of toilet paper with you even if your campground boasts of its clean and friendly "bathrooms".

People don't care if eating burnt marshmellows causes cancer so don't tell them all about it unless you want them to think you are crazy. The same goes for hotdogs.

You can make a golf club out of a stick, a rock, and some tent string. You can also make one out of a Pringles can, duct tape, and a small tree--don't forget to tape the lid on if you decide to make your can heavier by filling it with rocks.

Spiders are evil. You do not need a hole in your tent for them to get in. They have magic powers allowing them to transport themselves through all barriers. It hurts when they bite--I'd rather be bitten by a rat.

9 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Sorry about the spider bite -ouch! and I've never been one to not take TP with me camping (all 2 times I've gone) but the DEET vs. lemon eucalyptus oil based bug repellant thing is for real. DEET isn't that good, either.

Camping = staying at the Best Western instead of the Hyatt. must-have-clean-water-toilet-and-shower.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Burnt marshmallows cause cancer?

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Yum! Cancermallows, the best kind!

Now, you who enjoys cavorting with radioactive materials (I'm too lazy to look up your post in which you described that) is concerned about marshmallows? Je ne comprend pas!

Nice shoe Trisha!

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Thank you! I have that shoe in black, and I couldn't be happier.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I like the shoe too--I used to have one that looked very similar. I wonder where it went?

I've tried the new non-DEET products. While they do decrease the number of mosquito bites as compared to using nothing, they still don't do the job (at least in my case). Two people close to me have contracted West Nile Virus in the last few years, and I'm pretty sure that I will take the neurological damage caused by DEET over that caused by WN. I usually end up layering on the non-DEET stuff until I just can't take the bites anymore and then cover myself in a DEET-containing product. Actually, I usually don't go outside so worrying about bugs only happens the one time a year that I go camping. This comment of mine is really lame so I think I'll stop talking.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger madgirl said...

burnt marshmellows are sure yummy tho. it sucks how all the yummy stuff causes cancer. what kinda mean practical joke is that anyways? :/

love

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I'm pretty sure that burning marshmallows does not cause cancer as far as we know to date. Burning meat/charring meat, apparently can increase your cancer risk but que sera, sera.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger sue said...

oh...SURE...you tell me all this NOW that it's too late. (We're home, now).

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger academic coach said...

Yeah!
I've been telling folks for years that "skin so soft" doesn't do diddly to mosquitos. Viva DEET!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home