Monday, August 29, 2005

We will die without coffee--literally

Somehow that evil empire known as Starbucks has gotten to some cancer researchers at Scranton.

I would like to point out the last statement of this article:

Decaf has the same antioxidant benefits as regular coffee

So, if you have high blood pressure, renal problems, or any of the other ailments requiring you to limit your latte intake, maybe you shouldn't rush out and get your Starbucks card renewed just yet. Eat some blueberries and bananas and you'll be fine;)

I would also like to mention that there's a yin and a yang to everything in life. Caffeine is also known to potentiate the induction of DNA damage and perhaps inhibit DNA repair processes under certain conditions. This is one of the reasons that caffeine can make cells sensitive to radiation-induced killing (not a bad thing when we're trying to kill cancer cells but maybe bad in healthy cells in some circumstances). If you're interested in this, you can search for caffeine and DNA repair/DNA damage at www.pubmed.gov or on google scholar for some original research articles.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Too much for my little brain to think about without first having my second cup of coffee...

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger sue said...

I never have drunk (drank? drinked?) coffee... but I do drink soda. Must have caffeine.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

La la la la, I'm not listening.

glug glug glug glug. I heart starbucks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home