Thursday, September 01, 2005

Do it Now

I want you to do it. It's just two, simple things that will take less than 5 min. You don't have to read my post, just click on the links.

First, read this (thanks Geeky Mom):
Disjointed thoughts on the socio-economics of disaster

Now, my thoughts:

A few years ago, a hurricane swept through my area, blowing over a huge, ancient oak tree that destroyed our house. Brother2 and my friend were staying with us that day because we had decided our house was the safest given the extreme weather conditions. We had all just gone to bed when we heard a noise that we will never forget--the sound of a several tons of solid weight landing on the roof and breaking through into the house. There was then some crackling and tree branches came through the ceiling. Brother2 came flying (almost literally) into my bedroom looking terrified and confused. The gigantic tree had crashed through our attic and then through our ceiling into our living room and part of my bedroom. The little house held, though, and the branches had stopped right above where Brother2 was sleeping.

We packed up our wedding photos and insurance information while Brother2 and my friend tried to cover furniture with plastic bags. We drove through the hurricane, avoiding downed power lines and debris, to my brother's apartment. We couldn't sleep for days--we were homeless and in shell shock, and I cried every 5 min.

Our renters insurance paid for us to live in a hotel. I remember being so depressed at our situation--feeling so bad for myself. There are few thing in life that are more heart breaking than losing your home in a matter of seconds.

As I watch the news, I know that what I felt on that day was nothing like what Gulf Coast residents are feeling right now. Many of these people had nothing before the storm in the eyes of your average American--now they have less than nothing. In a town that has a sense of community stronger than any city I've ever spent time in, New Orleans has been stripped of the few things it could always count on--neighborhood, friends, home. Right now as we blog, people are clinging to their rooftops, baking on the interstate, and wading through human waste and dead bodies in the streets and in the Superdome. Some had to listen to their neighbors drowning--many have had to watch bodies of their friends float by.

I just donated to the Red Cross. We all say we want to help and that we are going to do it, but often we never get around to it. It took me exactly 1 min and 30 sec to make an online donation. I know none of you are rich (well, I'm assuming most of you aren't), but I also know that we all have more than the people of New Orleans do now.

Second: Do this please: Click here to Donate

5 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger BrightStar said...

Excellent post. Thanks. It is easy to donate, I agree.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger sue said...

Another perspective... thank you.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Oh, Honey...I had no idea....

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I hate being here right now. I hate seeing all of the rich, spoiled brats running around with their $500 bags and their $1000 shoes. I try not to hate the rich kids who have done NOTHING to raise money for Katrina's victims. NOTHING has been done on campus--NO emails have been sent, NO tables have been set up next to the anti-war and feed Africa tables, NO flyers have been hung. I had to send out an email encouraging our department to donate since the Dean was obviously too busy to do so--if you don't give people an actual link they can click on they'll NEVER give. These people have NO fucking clue what it is like to be poor let alone homeless, diseased, endangered, and grief-stricken. I'm just so sad and so angry right now.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger trisha said...

I am sorry you are so pissed. I imagine your empathy and understanding of what it is like to lose your home is pushing you over the edge. I have such a hard time imagining what that would feel like. Hell, I lose it when I can't find my keys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home