Monday, September 19, 2005

Has Anyone Seen the Mice?

There are many things that one may lose throughout the day. You may lose the CD with your very important lecture on it or your favorite pen or maybe the checks that you just cut for your employees. You may hear someone yell "Hey, has anyone the UPS delivery?" or "Where's the Smith Report?".

One thing that you most likely will not hear is "Ummm, has anyone seen the mice infected with the deadly plague"?

This solidifies my argument for why scientists should be payed more to care about their work.

I love how carefree the author of this article is:

"There are many potential explanations. The rodents could have been stolen or accidentally incinerated along with bedding from the cages. It is even possible that they ate each other, as mice are known to do this when they have plague. The institute's director, David Perlin, acknowledges the possibility of theft, but says he thinks it is more likely to be "an honest mistake"."

One of my favorite parts:

"The CDC is working with the FBI and local officials to see what happened," says Von Roebuck, a spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.

I bet that FBI agent is glad that he/she went through weapons training for this.

"The infection usually passes from mice to humans through fleas, but it can also be transmitted by breathing the infected breath of another animal. Wren says this is an unlikely risk from escaped lab animals: "I can't see the mice sneezing on a human." "

If they are willing to shit on you, bite you, and go for your jugular, I'm sure they are not above sneezing on you.

4 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

EEEK - Mice! Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em...good thing I am not a scientist. I can handle snakes and other reptiles (just not frogs) but no mice or rats.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I totally thought of you when I saw this story!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Just for the record, in case anyone is wondering, they weren't my mice. I can not claim to have never lost a rodent before, buy I'm innocent as far as this story goes.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger sue said...

Mice don't bother me. Having said that, mice carrying the plague DO bother me... What were they thinking??? Geez!

Glad they weren't yours, 'cause, well, I really have a high opinion of you and that would've just blown it all to hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home