Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Mind over Matter

You all will have to wait a little bit longer for the third installment of the "What I Want" series. I'm battling a cohort of surgery side effects including a rash on my eyelids--it is definitely as irritating as it sounds--and I need to focus my few, itch-free hours of the day on my brick-and-mortar world.

To keep entertained, check out this cool invention.

From the article:

"The technology could one day help paralysed patients to move robotic arms, or help sufferers of motor neuron disease to type out words on a virtual keyboard. "Just thinking about movement activates the same neurons as actually moving," explains Gert Pfurtscheller of Graz University of Technology in Austria, who has been working on the device for around four years. By picking up on these bursts of nerve activity, the computer can decide whether you are thinking about moving your hands or feet, and react accordingly."

5 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I want a robot that will play solitaire for me.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Or a robot who does dishes, mows the lawn, changes the diapers, and has the sex with my husband. I need to finish my reading.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger sue said...

Very interesting....

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger sue said...

Oh, and the eye rash thing sounds horrid!! Sorry you're having that... it just doesn't sound like fun at all... Hope you're feeling better soon.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Thanks ladies. My eye rash seems to be going away--it's so freakin' obnoxious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home