Thursday, November 17, 2005

Where have all the cowboys gone?

So, the conference went well. In the past, I've had a handful of faithful followers stop by my poster to ask questions and offer advice. This year, however, the stars must have aligned because I had a steady stream of visitors from the moment I put my poster up until well after I was supposed to take it down. This could be partly attributed to how visually captivating my poster was (lots of bright images and bold colors); it helps to have a husband with ties to the printing industry. It could also have resulted from the beautiful, bright-blue sweater I had on. It was that shade of blue that birds are attracted to--maybe humans have the same fetish. Maybe, just maybe, however, my increase in followers resulted from a growing interest in my area of specialization. Who knows...

Regardless, I passed out my business card to anyone who glanced my direction--very slick and out-of-character for a scientist like myself. I think I frightened a few shy researchers, but I always manage to overwhelm those types. Bad latte...bad, bad latte...

Mentor1 stopped by for 15 sec to tell me that he didn't like the arrows I used. He hadn't looked at the poster before I actually presented it, voiding the value of his opinion, but at least that was his only complaint. Mentor2 didn't come to my poster, but she did look at it after the meeting. She agreed that we should change the color of the neurons to something less red. Now don't go having a heart attack, people. I know, neurons = red, but it just looks so violent plastered all over a poster. Think outside of the box and maybe we can kill such dogmatic nonsense and start appreciating pink and purple neurons...

The meeting is a large one--well over 30,000 people. It left me exhausted and a bit disoriented. It also sparked an inner voice that keeps screaming, "Find a freakin' job, loser!"
I had several people approach me about post docs so it's not that I don't have any existing options. It's just that...sigh...I don't know.

9 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

I kind of have to laugh, because my field is such that one's mentor could almost NEVER offer criticism about which arrows one has used. Thank God!

Glad to hear that it went so well.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Did you meet any of my neuro friends there? :)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Unless your neuro friends are really into boring stuff, they probably didn't come by my poster. There were some shady people who kept poking me though...

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

*I* think they like boring stuff just by virtue of being into brain stuff :) (not really, I just get overwhelmed watching them code fmri data and zone out as they explain it to me). They would have been the too-cool- for-school-kids whose hair is dyed black, or who sneak off to smoke, or act slightly bored in order to cover up their obscene excitement.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Wow...that is a big conference! I'm so glad it went well and that you were busy.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger muse said...

Ya know, I can't see that blog title without the Paula Cole song popping into my head... LOL

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger trisha said...

By meeting, do you mean Science Fair?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger sue said...

I'm with Trisha... this is what it sounds like to me! ;)

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I got an Honorable Mention at the Fair in 6th grade. I believe that is one notch about Participant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home