Friday, December 30, 2005

Fine Art

The other day on Project Runway, which I do not watch, the designers criticized another designer for working like a fine artist--he did not really allow "deadlines" into his world. He focused on his body of work, primping and prepping, taking apart and revamping only to revamp a million more times, as the clocked ticked away. It was about producing perfection, a tiny piece of him, and not about getting it out in time for others to see it. The focus was always how he felt about it, not how others would feel about it.

So now, instead of thinking of myself as neurotic or obsessive, I believe that I'm a fine artist.

My 3-page proposal is officially 4.5 pages because I decided that 2 working hypothesis were not enough; the third was absolutely necessary for balance. I have revamped it several times and wordsmithed it to death, agonizing over words as if each one could be the deciding factor for whether or not I get this fellowship. I have read 200 background papers even though I probably only had to read about 50 to grasp the material enough to write something coherent.
I really should send it off--especially given the fact that my generous extension is not going to be generous for much longer.

Coherent isn't good enough.

I'm a fine artist, baby.

8 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Ex-Prom Queen, ABD said...

Is this not one of the quintessential dilemmas of an academic--determining when some piece of work is 'done'? This happens to be my *biggest* challenge. I could perennially find one more thing to add, alter, wordsmith... And thus, I'm sitting on multiple documents (pubs, proposals...) that should already be in the ether. At some point (whatever that point is), a piece of work must be done enough to share, to get feedback on, to submiit. How can one adjust that threshhold/point to satisfy our itch for 'perfection' while simultaneously releasing us from agonizing over details?

I enjoyed your post. I like thinking of our work as art and that it can be an outlet for creativity...

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

For a while I've been thinking of myself as a great artist who just happens to lack a talent. The liability is that an artistic temperament isn't tolerated very well in the average assembly line. Besides that, trains need to run on time. They don't need to run beautifully.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Since when do trains arrive on time? I'm moving to your town. I guess maybe this is why I never really joined an assembly line...or any type of normative line.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Katie said...

My sentiments exactly! I just hope I can convince my advisor of these sentiments...

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger trisha said...

You absolutely are!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I never doubted that about you, dear.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger sue said...

Catching up...again.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and by all means... you hang in there, as you ARE a fine artist!

All the best for you and yours in the New Year!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger phu said...

thanks for a great post mate!
check on google for “cast spells radionics software”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home