Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I am not a freebie

I am a funny person. At least, I belive I am funny, and self-denial and illusions are the stuff reality is made of so, yes, I am funny.

When people come to my poster, people who are not researchers or doctors but who are pushing a particular drug, and go into depth about how they hate sleeping in hotel rooms, about how hotel rooms are lonely and cold and maladaptive for sleeping, how should I respond? When there are 28 men for every 1 woman, and you have been testosteroned out of your mind, how can you really take someone like this seriously.

I advised him to take the very same drug he was there to sell. It's very sedating.

I thought I was being funny, witty if you will.

You really shouldn't come to my poster unless you are really interested in the incredibly boring genetic/cellular mumbo jumbo that I'm talking about. I do not have free blinky pens nor do I have flashlights or candy.

I am not a freebie.

That would make a good blog title.

3 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

One need not eschew all frivolity. There's a time and a place for denying every time and place. You're just in pre-post-doc earnestness, I suspect. A lot of tenured folk are parallel processing big time, I'm sure.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

I am a funny person. At least, I belive I am funny, and self-denial and illusions are the stuff reality is made of so, yes, I am funny.

I don't know about this theory. What I tend to rely on is that on occasion I've seen people in real life laugh at things I say. I'm sure they were laughing with me too, not just at me. I'm sure of it.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger sue said...

I thought it was pretty funny, too!
(sorry I'm so late - still catching up)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home