Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Very funny

Be careful what you ask for.

My meeting went well. All I have to do is finish staining the brain slices that I already have and then spend the next two months analyzing the data. Everyone was on board with me defending in April/May; I can't even begin to express how happy that makes me.

An important piece of advice for fellow students: start constructing your tables and graphs early. It's important after collecting the majority of your data to determine the comparisons you want to make and what groups you have/need to support your conclusions. This will help you avoid having "holes" in your data. You do not want to get almost to the end and then realize that you need one more group to make the necessary comparisons and to convincingly support your conclusions.

So, in addition to the successful completion of the meeting, God (who I did not bite, by the way), decided to throw me a second bone weighing about two tons.

At the end of my meeting, we started to talk about jobs. Everyone got really excited about a particular fellowship that I may be a competitive applicant for. "Go for it!" they cheered.

The deadline is this Friday. Yep, that means transcripts, letters of recommendation, a grant proposal written with a mentor at my chosen institution, and a completed application form that asks for everything except for my blood type. There is nothing like calling a random person whom you've never met or spoken with, who does research in an area you know nothing about, and saying "hey, you don't know me, but what are you doing this week?".

Hee...hee...hee...thanks, God.

7 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Yay! Hooray! What a great sounding meeting! And I am so glad that it seems as though there are people who definitely see you as the genius you are!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

if genius = jackass in shrinky-world, then you are correct: I am a genius:)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

Congrats on this milestone! It's so nice to have a feasible timeline and finish line in sight...and supportive people encouraging and believing in you.

Good luck on the proposal.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Oh, I just love you.

That's all.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Congrats on doing what you needed to do to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not having it turn out to be an on-coming train. Good job! I'm sure you will be Dr. Falters, Scientist Rock Star right on time.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

Good job! Ack about the deadline! But so long as you don't have to rely on a photocopier, there's nothing in the world of paper work that can't be achieved.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger sue said...

Wow... glad the meeting went well... keeping fingers crossed that today goes well (I'm writing on Friday)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home