Friday, December 02, 2005

Where Am I? Not Where I Should Be.

Right now, I am supposed to be at a conference (yes, another science fair). It is across town and a pain to get to because they (the man) refuses to put a subway stop at my Univ. for fear poor people might find us. It would have been easier to leave directly from my house, but I just stopped by the lab to do one more little thing...

And now I'm stuck. I'm stuck for several reasons. The first reason is quite practical. Both my feet are asleep because I sit on them when I'm at the computer. I try not to do this as it causes my knees to hurt continuously, and I'm sure it does nothing for the swelling in my legs, but I can't help it. I also hold my thumbs when I'm nervous or walking by myself, but that's a whole different issue.

The second reason is also practical. I can not finish up here until I get into the core facility, which does not open until 9 or 10am, depending on who is working there today.

The third reason is psychological. I do not want to be pushed into the crowds of people pretending to care about research and medicine when all they really care about is showing their face and gaining recognition for whatever bullshit study they are presenting. This meeting is comprised of physicians mostly, and it shows in the science. Sorry doctors, it's nothing personal--I understand there are limitations when you are working on human primates instead of rats.

The fourth reason is physiological. I'm freezing. My lab is cold, the bus is cold, the outside is extremely cold...I'm paralyzed by the ice building up on my nose.

The fifth...what was the fifth? Oh, yeah--I'm blogging instead of conferencing (I know, conferencing is not really a word in the way I just used it).

4 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I hope I didn't piss you off by calling your conference(s) a science fair...

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

JHU?

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger sue said...

If you sit on your feet (making them numb) perhaps that is why you fall off your stool? Just a thought...

We'd much rather have you here than at some dumb science fair... I mean, conference.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

I just got back from another conference myself (of a different nature, I'm sure - although physicians are our target audience). I get frustrated because our attendees pretend to care about topical information only to get our free (extremely irritating) blinky pens. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home