Thursday, January 19, 2006

Every Little Thing Gonna Be Alright

I did not cry. I will not cry.

I will not let the Man see me cry. Swallow it down, get back on the horse, and smile like you just fell on a needle filled with valium.

The Bad: All of my samples were stored in that fridge so I can not continue any experiments that I hadn't started yet before the freezer died. The samples are from chronic animal treatments, so to repeat them would add 6-months to a year onto my thesis.

The Good: I busted my butt for two years and generated enough data to have a complete thesis even without looking at the samples in the fridge. There will be a few unanswered questions (a.k.a. "holes), but I can live with that. Some of the fixed tissue will be OK, so I can still get a little more data from those samples.

What did the Man do in response to the incident, you may be wondering?

Absolutely nothing.

Not a word, not a comment, not a suggestion.

You would think that someone who badly wants tenure, someone who has less than a dozen first author papers (and no papers as a PI) in his 20-some years of research would care more. He's not teaching, he's not at the bench, there are no grants currently do. We have never had a lab meeting in all of our years here, and he has never written more than one sentence of any of my grants, papers, or abstracts. He sees my presentations the day I present them, and he didn't even bother looking at my posters this year, let alone coming to them.

You would think he would at least pretend to care more, at least until he got tenure.

Thank God I have two mentors. One is obviously not enough.

I'm OK. Thanks for your support. I just need to get out.

As a wise man once said:
Don't worry, 'bout a thing.
'Cause every little thing, gonna be alright.

That wise man was also extremely high at the time, but the words are still valid.

6 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger BrightStar said...

maybe being high helps sometimes... not sure...

I'm glad you have another mentor besides this one.

I'm glad you have enough data for your thesis.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

I'm glad to hear that you will have enough data to get done and move onto a better place.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I love you, Rox.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger BotanicalGirl said...

"Baby don't worry,
'bout a thing..."

The irony is that Bob Marley's Greatest Hits was on constant rotation in my Evil Lab of Death. It makes a lot more sense now...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I'm glad you found a way to pull through, but the Man is a jackass. Ah, another PI to learn from by doing everything the exact opposite way that they do.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

phew! I'm glad you have enough data to finish up without having to rip someone's head off - that is such unpleastant business. I also hope that somewhere in your future is an opportunity to give this mentor of yours a subtle but unmistakable dissing in the appropriate community. He has so earned it.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous jenny said...

Oh god, just catching up on things here. I'm so sorry to hear about the freezer and all your work. But even worse than that is finding no sympathy from people who should know better. Unreal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home