Monday, January 09, 2006

Festivus and Finales

My fellowship proposal, albeit imperfect, is turned in. I'm hoping that my inability to eat without feeling like I'm going be singing to the porcelain goddess will now go away.

On a brighter note, my husband and I celebrated festivus with his father, step-mother, sister, and sister-in-law with a surprise pop-in by a family friend.

For lack of the neurons required to talk about anything thought-provoking today, I am now going to waste time by telling you about Festivus. Feel free to ignore:)

We had festivus in a log cabin this year--I think we were so far out there that we may have actually been visited by a bear. Damn terrorists.

Our Festivus rules each year are pretty simple: all gifts must have been attained without monetary cost to the attainer and wrapped in anything except wrapping paper. For instance, my sister-in-law made paper (she is an artist) out of dryer lint and used it to design Festivus cards. You should have seen my microbe-fearing face when I realized what I was holding. After the initial shock, however, I was quite amazed at her skill and creativity. I usually give away all of the free promotional items I get at conferences. Thus, my entire family walks around promoting neurons and pharmaceuticals. You are also allowed to regift things that you don't need/want anymore (ex. books, CDs, games), although usually we give each other crap.

Where was I...oh...gift wrappings are to be made into sculptures during festivus and attached to the festivus pole (a plastic pipe). Decorations are kept and reused from year to year. Usually we use recycled foil to wrap the gifts because it's easy to mold and it's a good, non-capitalist form of tinsel.

Each year one participant invents a game that we all will play during the festivities. Prizes can be won during these games, but you can lose your prize in a subsequent challenge. Challenges involve mental and/or physical feats of strength. This year, we played a family trivia game made by my father-in-law and held nose Olympics.

Another (new) rule is that we have a food theme each year. This year it was soup so everyone had to invent a soup and bring it. We were only allowed to eat soup for the 48-hr stay, so you had to make your soup with this in mind. We made bacon-mushroom-cheeseburger soup, fruit soup, and potsticker-stirfry soup. Others brought pumpkin potato, strawberry cream, creamy carrot, turducken wedding, and chicken minestrone soup. Needless to say, I was dying for solid food when we got home.

Because my brother couldn't go this year, we used one of his Festivus gifts, a Freud action figure, as his replacement. We took pictures of Freud gazing at the stars, swinging from a ceiling fan, and chugging from a wine glass. Those pictures will be great gifts for next year...

And last, there is the airing of the grievances. We won't go into those, though;)

11 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

okay, how much do I dig that your family celebrates Festivus?!? A whole lot.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger muse said...

It's the second time today that I've read about Festivus, I wanna celebrate it too! ;)

I've already got Yule, Noël at my parents (xmas eve), Xmas with friends... I could do that too! Damn my friends for not celebrating Kwaanza and Hannukah and restricting my celebration choices! LOL

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I want to be in your family!

May I? Please?

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Oh, and you look very pretty today, Rox.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

B*--festivus and happy meals are the stuff dreams are made of.

Muse--I don't get why people want to make Christmas all about Christmas. The more celebrations, the merrier.

Trisha--of course you can be in my family. Thank you for the compliment, but if you saw me right now, you would know that I'm not looking too hot. I smacked my face off of the freezer door yesterday and am now sporting a split lip and huge gash on my forehead. I am a moron.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger trisha said...

Dude, I am a mess, too. I broke my chin on Robbie's head, slammed my not-at-all-funny bone on the counter, and poked my eyeball with the mascara wand. And that was just today.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

mmmm... happy festivus meals... (that made sense in my head)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger sue said...

Whew! I'm so happy for you to have that weight off your shoulders...

Festivus! What fun!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

That sounds like so much more fun than the stressful Christmas trap I've fallen in to. Next year it's Festivus all the way - screw those jingle bells! Or maybe we'll do both but we need new rules around the X-mas gifts.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Doctor Free-Ride, Ph.D. said...

The airing of the grievances is always my favorite part!

I guess nowadays people are switching from the traditional aluminum pole to plastic. Makes me a bit nostalgic ...

BTW, have you tried the Ben and Jerry's "Festivus" flavor? Oh my goodness, it's tasty!

Congrats on getting the proposal in.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Raven Travillian said...

congratulations! that's great to have that milestone behind you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home