Monday, January 23, 2006

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I haven't had a chance to read the articles yet, but I thought it was a light bit of science that everyone might enjoy so I wanted to share with you ASAP. It makes me wonder if I should stop wasting energy being so incredibly hilarious and just laugh at my husband's jokes more often. Now, don't get me wrong, hubby is quite funny, but it's hard for him to realize his full potential with someone as polished in the realm of humor as myself living under the same roof.

Articles:
  1. Bressler E. R.& Balshine S. . Evolution & Human Behavior, 27. 29 - 39 (2006).
  2. Bressler E. R., et al. Evolution & Human Behavior article in press (2006)

There's a summary in this month's Nature:
Laughter Paves the Way for Romance

"Women generally preferred men who were funny, while men favoured a woman who thought he was funny, the team report in a second paper accepted for publication2.

Bressler believes that the findings might hint at why humans have evolved a sense of humour at all.

According to one theory, proposed by psychologist Geoffrey Miller at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, women prefer funny men because their wit reveals an active and healthy brain - and a fine set of underlying genes. "It's a very powerful and reliable way to show creativity and intelligence," Miller says. "

I laugh at G dubs all the time, but I think that must be a different kind of funny.

3 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

A good evolutionary argument survives the fortune-cookie test. This tells us that it's the "laugh with me" kind of funny that's selected for. "Laugh at me in bed" doesn't work. Justly so.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger The Scarlett said...

My husband is the wittiest man I have ever known and I'm pretty much the only woman to ever get all of his jokes. I've always found humor to be incredibly sexy.

Found you via Trish over at Least of My Worries.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I personally have always enjoyed humor in a man. A man who makes me laugh on a gloomy day puts a spark in my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home