Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My brain is big at the expense of my testes

An inverse relationship between testes and brain size?

So many things I want to say...but I'll let the data do the talking.

From the Associated Press:

"A research team led by Syracuse University biologist Scott Pitnick found that in bat species where the females are promiscuous, the males boasting the largest testicles also had the smallest brains. Conversely, where the females were faithful, the males had smaller testes and larger brains."

"Large brains, meanwhile, are metabolically costly to develop and maintain. "

Maybe that's why I'm so smart. I don't believe I have testes.

I wonder how this relates to male-dimorphism and mating practices in other species, such as my favorite example, the dung beetle (I know you all remember my dung beetle post). Being that I'm not sure you can measure a dung beetle's brain size (even neuroscientists have limitations, my friends) we will have to instead substitute brain for horn size. Still, I think that it could be somewhat related in the grand scheme of things. If this does relate, I would lock your back door (to your house, silly) if you have a small-brained man with huge testes lurking about. He's a sneaky one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if he has horns of any size you should probably avoid him also.

One more thing, you have to read this article on Bluegill cuckolders (sneaker males). It's hilarious. The small little males sneak in, dump their sperm, and run away. When they get older, they pretend they are females (because they look kind of like chicks) to avoid the larger, paternal males.

"Sometimes a parental will even court a mimic"

Well who hasn't had that happen at least once in their lives?

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Katie said...

This is funny thinking about applying all this to the human dating world!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger sue said...

OMG... you've done to me AGAIN!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home