Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Science in a Sec

Science in a second:

Rabbit-human embryos
Rabbit embryo + human DNA = ?
"Legal experts say it is not clear whether the embryos would be regarded in law as rabbit or human."
Ummm...I'm not sure why it is an either/or question. We should definitely let lawyers and politicians decide because they are so very smart. Maybe, we should let a few develop into a hubbit and see how we feel about it then. We could give it some rights and make it work for less than minimum wage. Of course we couldn't let it get married because that would be against the biblical, hubbit-marriage law.

Man Should Fear Birds
This explains what was going through Alfred's Head.
"Berger concluded man's ancestors had to survive not just being hunted from the ground, but from the air. Such discoveries are "key to understanding why we humans today view the world the way we do," he said."
It definitely explains why I hit the ground every time a bird flies overhead. Maybe this also explains the reason why fighter jets are so freakin' scary, even when you know they aren't going to bomb you. Actually, I can't wait to read the article to see how Berger discusses "why we humans today view the world the way we do". I love thinking about how early-evolved instincts translate into today's world.

Limit your Flavors and you will be skinny
"The idea is perhaps less boring than it sounds. For example, pineapple day features pineapple juice and cereal for breakfast; pineapple-walnut chicken salad and crackers for lunch; pineapple shrimp, bulgur, sauteed peas and tossed salad for dinner; and caramelized pineapple rings for dessert. "

Whether Katz's diet works because it limits flavors, or because it promotes healthy eating and exercise, is unclear, Raynor said. "If you're eating healthy and exercising, you're going to lose weight," she said. "

Here's an idea. Why don't we do a real study between people who limit flavors and people who eat healthy without limiting flavors before we go promoting this concept as being supported by any type of real data? Real data exist only in a world of appropriate controls and analyses, lest we forget.

I'm going to start my own "diet plan" to make money off of such ideas. Because I've noticed that most of the people in the gym are overweight (let's not get bogged down with any real numbers), I am going to conclude that the gym makes you fat. Thus, if you avoid the gym, you will get skinny.

This is why scientific training is important for all people, not just scientists.

6 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger muse said...

Yay! No more gym! Woo-hoo! Where do I sign up for your "no exercise" plan?

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Hmmm...having been a certified personal trainer for five years, I'm having trouble reconciling this but I'm also willing to give it a shot (wink)!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

You are so funny!

Oh how I wish your gym logic worked. I believe that is known as a syllogism or some derivative thereof, and as such, is not true. Drat!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger William the Coroner said...

Falter

I love you and cannot live without you. Marry me and let us spend all our time playing with brains (yours, mine, and others)

William the Coroner

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Coroner,
I'm pretty sure you may be a hubbit...or maybe I'm a hubbit...regardless, hubbits can't marry.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger sue said...

I'm catching up... and I have to tell you, hubbits. I love 'em. I spit pop all over my keyboard reading this post. I like your kind of science... it's the kind I can relate to. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home