Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Your Brain Gave You Away

Because I watched 24 last night and had dreams that Jack Bauer was trying to save me, I thought this would be my offering to you today. We knew it was coming--we've seen the gambling studies and the preliminary data leading up to lying studies. Will it be better than the polygraph? Will it be better than Jack Bauer? I fear that those of you dreading the polygraph portion of your security clearance now have one more thing to worry about.

Who's the Liar? Brain MRI Stands Up to Polygraph Test

from Temple University/Feroze B. Mohamed, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Radiology

My suggestion for expanding this study, the one thing I bring up every time I meet an investigator in the field of "lying", is that one needs to have a group of people who are "expert" liars to see if you can still pick up brain activation in the "lying" regions/patterns. In studies of language, working memory, etc., one always makes sure to keep the demands of the task even across groups, and that is an important factor for "lying" studies also. There are probably folks who have included this group; I've noticed, however, its absence in the few talks that I've gone to on the subject.

4 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

They could use me to set the lower spectrum as I am the worst liar in the world - of this I'm sure.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

How can you tell when you're dealing with an expert liar? And who'd want to identify him or herself as one?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger sue said...

I'm one. I mean, I'm not one. I am too. Am not. Am so. Am not. So...am I? Mwhaa haa haa...

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

I was thinking car salesman, lawyers, politicians, bloggers....sue;)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home