Thursday, February 23, 2006

Comcast, Publishing, and Tears of Something

Comcast and I are not friends right now. They tried to tell me that my endless internet problems are resulting from "something" bumping the modem button. "Maybe a cat or a pet?" the Man says with lackluster helpfulness.

My modem is locked up in a room that the animals haven't seen...ever.

Regardless, I have a connection right now. We'll see how long it lasts. I thought I'd try to post before it goes out again.

My big announcement for this special moment in internet bliss is that my paper got accepted at a really good journal. Not a Science or a Nature, but still a journal with a nice impact factor.

I've been crying non-stop since I read the acceptance email this morning.

I don't know why I can't stop crying. Maybe it has something to do with 5-years of wanting, yearning for some sort of positive reinforcement, some type of "good job, ole chap".

I thought I'd dance around in a circle when this happened, but no...just tears.

Go me.

14 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger William the Coroner said...

Congrats, Falter!

I can remember the time I got my first publication. It's like giving birth, only more painful and protracted, but it's wonderful validation. Better than kids, fer sher.

Give it some time, and you'll have people Pub Med and Googling you all the time

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger BrightStar said...

many congratuations on your publication! I understand the tears. Affirmation is so hard to come by in academia, plus you've been working hard for a long time.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Congrats! I am still working on my first publication, and I think that when it happens, I will pretty much have the same reaction!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

My modem started intermittently shorting out from overheating after someone in my house who shall remain nameless left a towel on it, covering those air holes, which apparently aren't just for show. Do you have anything over yours? Got a spare modem you could swap in for an experiment?

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

Oh: Congrats on the publication!!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Congratulations! I'd venture to say that the tears are 5 years worth of tension leaving your body in a wet and slightly wild way. If I were you I'd top the whole experience off with a massage - you'll feel like a new woman.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger trisha said...

Yay, Rox!

You are wonderfully brilliant.

I want to see! I want to see!

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Amanda said...

Hey there. Congrats on the publication! I totally understand the crying and would be doing the same thing if it were me. Happy tears are wonderful!!! Let them flow

Amanda

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Nels said...

Yes, go you!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Edie said...

That's wonderful. I would cry, too.

I tagged you to answer some questions. I can't wait to see what you say... if you want to of course.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger BotanicalGirl said...

Congrats! You are a fabulously cool scientist! I can't wait til I get my first paper accepted.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

Wow - pardon me while I blush over my tardiness. How lovely that you have so many people to be happy for you!

I'll add myself to the list though. Many, many congratulations! Yay for you!

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

Congratulations on the pub! Yay!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Thanks everyone. There are so many reasons why this paper is much bigger and more cry-worthy than any other that I've worked on. Someday I'll be able to elaborate...after I've distanced myself from all of this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home