Monday, February 06, 2006

I've been aiming too low

When I was little, I always told people that I wanted to win the Nobel Prize.

Then, the other day while having dinner with friends, we got on the topic of the IgNobel Prize.

This all came about because one of the people at the table had once tried to microwave ants that had crawled onto his slice of pizza. He noticed that they didn't die unless they touched the cheese/sauce. So, he did a little experiment and came to the conclusion that ants were highly resistant to the killing effect of microwaves. Because he is a genius, he decided that his observations could be explained by the ants' low water content and surface to volume ratio or something or other--he's the physics genius, not I.

Then he brought up the IgNobels, and I was enthralled. Now, maybe all of you have seen this before, but it's new to me.

Here
are some recent winners.

I really like the medical winner for their development of Neuticles. I also really like the study where they monitored a locust's brain cell activity while it watched Star Wars--that won a peace prize.

If you scroll down to the 2004 winners, you will notice that in public health, someone (Jillian Clarke) actually tested the validity of the 5-second rule.

I've been setting the bar too low. I've got to start writing up some of my interesting self-funded projects.

6 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger sue said...

That is just wrong...

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Katie said...

This is too funny! Especially the neuticles! I think I have been spending too much time trying to do "practical science" rather than trying to invent something along the lines of neuticles...

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I thought it was the 3-second rule. At least that's what it was in many of the restaurants that employed me.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

I saw something about the alarm clock that runs around and hides recently. I'm so glad it won an igNobel. I could really have used one when I was in college and my son so needs one of those right now. He has inherited my ability to transcend the power of having 2 alarm clocks - one next to the bed and one across the room. Only one that runs away and hides until you can extract it from deep under the bed could possibly work. That inventor is a genius.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous pelican said...

I would also add ... these fine individuals bring us the Luxurious Flowing Hair Club for Scientists ...

http://www.improbable.com/projects/hair/hair-club-top.html

and, if your hair could potentially qualify, it's a nice step on the way to your IgNobel.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Info on picture of zoroastrianism

 

Post a Comment

<< Home