Wednesday, April 26, 2006

David and Goliath: Jellyfish Style

Last night, while in the throes of insomnia, I watched a rather odd show on jellyfish. The entire show kept leading up to the deadliest jellyfish of all--I was hooked. When the camera crew dove in, I held my breath. When the narrator indicated that they had found not one, but 20 of the deadly monsters, I was ecstatic. Slowly, the camera zoomed in.

And in.

And in.

And in.

Apparently, the deadly Irukandji jellyfish is only about 2.5cm in diameter.

Here's another story about the little devils.

So, it was a huge buzzkill. I did, however, get to see one eat (for the first time captured on camera, mind you). I also go to see a box jellyfish sleep (also for the first time captured on camera).

To top it all of, I also got to see a very attractive model in a bikini swim with the jellyfish. The narrator also used the word "sex" a lot. These elements were noticeably out of place, but I guess it's hard to make jellyfish sexy enough for viewers to tune in. I wonder how much they payed that model. Do you think it came out of their research budget?

9 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger B said...

I saw the same episode, and was equally suprised to find this very deadly, very threatening jelly was so tiny! No wonder people stung from it don't even know what hit them, they probably did not even see it!
B

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

i once almost had a run in with a herd (is that what it's called?) of jellyfish. Luckily because I didn't know what they were, and thought they were a stunning proxy of octopus, I motioned for my snorkeling partner to come over, which scared them off.

Our family has lots of jellyfish and man o war stories.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

That's so funny shrinky, because I was going to write that they filmed an entire herd of jellyfish in my original post, but then I didn't because I was pretty sure that herd wasn't right, and I couldn't think of what the correct word was. Maybe school? No matter, it's funny that we both thought it.

B--That's why I hate the water. You can't see anything. I believe it takes a real leap of faith to go into the ocean. I'm a wimp

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Is that the one where the divers forget to cover their hands and end up in the hospital writhing in pain for weeks and weeks? Awful.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I went down to Tybee Island a few years back and I felt very fortunate not to have encountered any jelly fish. I did see a dead one washed up on shore though. I am glad that I did not have to deal with any stings my first time in the ocean down in the south.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger William the Coroner said...

OK. Evidently a group of jellyfish is called a "smack" or a "smuck". For the rest of animal group names look here: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/info/faqs/animals/names.htm

This was going to bother me until I found out. I suspect, though, that the "smuck" variant comes from "Smuckers" a good Ohio brand, and is, therefore, a freudian slip.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

A smuck? Wow, I never would have guessed. Thank you.

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was called "Killer Jellyfish". the highlight is, towards the end, when the two researchers are stung by this really lethal jellyfish called the Irukandji. The main researcher was this Australian guy in his 30's or 40's. His assistant was a cute blonde girl in her 20's. The guy didnt get it that bad, but at one point was curled up like a ball and was having trouble speaking. The girl got it real bad though. At one point, she's in so much pain all she could do is lay on the hospital bed writhing in pain. It kinda freaked me out, the way she was moving around, almost convulsing. While the narrator is talking, they have a camera shot of her legs sliding around all over the bed really fast. Then they zoom out and you see her whole body just twisting and writhing around, and she's rubbing her face and crying. The pain looks awful.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heres the video of the woman wriggling in pain and her legs writhing and thrashing in agony from the irukandji venom, from the discovery channel'

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5244772188533526164

 

Post a Comment

<< Home