Saturday, April 29, 2006

How Long Should A Thesis Be and Jellyfish Gangs

How long should a thesis be?

It's like asking , "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie-roll pop?"

In my program, theses range from 100 pages (including references, copyright page, etc.) to 400 pages.

So I guess one could answer the two questions in the same manner: It depends on who is doing the licking.

Alright, now on to more important things.

Thanks to William the Coroner, we now know what to call a group of jellyfish. It's a "smack".
Makes perfect sense, if you don't think about it.

He was also kind enough to give us a handy reference sheet so we no longer make fools of ourselves when discussing wildlife in plural terms. All this time I've been referring to a "sloth" of bears and a clusterf***. Actually, I think that I usually refer to most things as a clusterf***. That is because I'm trying to finish this stupid thesis and I'm very hostile. Now, however, I won't have to refer to such vulgarities.

Thank you, our body dissecting friend.

6 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Of the two most recent PhDs in our department one thesis was 87 pages and the other was 450 (although I think ~1/2 was data appendices).

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

little known fact: a group of dingos is called "a gynecologist of dingos."

One diss in my previous program had to be bound in two volumes it was so fricking long. Previously, my goal had been to have a 3 volume diss. But now, I'm aiming for my diss to be 5 pages and to be accepted with no revisions. World's shortest diss ever!!!

now here's a question: why are some phd projects called theses and some dissertations. And if you are in a doctoral program for which your final project is a thesis, what is your masters project called?

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

Louis de Broglie did in six pages, meanwhile establishing the physical characteristics and existence of matter waves, which underlie quantum mechanics. If you've got something less revolutionary to offer, I'd recommend spreading it over more pages.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I don't think I have an answer to your diss question. But when it is done, let us know. Truthfully, my own diss lenght is not something I want to think about right now--my first draft manuscript lenght is already "groaning" from all the figures. And that is just the bare bones.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Raven Travillian said...

All this time I've been referring to a "sloth" of bears and a clusterf***.

Which raises an interesting question about how to refer to a group of sloth bears.... :)

And based on what I've often observed in conservation projects with wildlife, "clusterf***" is exactly the right term. Sometimes I think it amuses the animals to just mess with us and our science. And it's not like they signed the consent form or anything, either, so it's not like they're not holding up their end of a contract.

Actually, I think that I usually refer to most things as a clusterf***. That is because I'm trying to finish this stupid thesis and I'm very hostile. Now, however, I won't have to refer to such vulgarities.

Totally understandable. I'm working on my dissertation, and I quite understand "hostile". Frankly, if I have any friends left after this whole thing is over, that speaks more to their character than to mine.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Thanks raven...that made me smile:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home