Friday, April 07, 2006

Proofs: The Big Punisher

Correcting your proofs is the biggest, meanest punishment ever.

They'll publish your paper alright, but first you must go through it yet another time to look for mistakes. Now you not only have to worry about your own stupid errors, but you also have to look for errors introduced during the typesetting. Is that one space or two? Is there a word missing here?

Not only do you have to find the mistakes, but you also must use some sort of bizarre code to mark up your paper. You have to squeeze things into tiny margins while remembering to leave enough space at the edges for faxing errors. I just can't go on...

Blah.

3 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

And then when you miss an error and then see is GLARING at you from the published version, you just hate yourself.

It sucks all around.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Ack! I do not envy you. For what it is worth, I am working on my first publication and will be going through the same stuff as well. Misery loves company?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger sue said...

I'm a horrid proofreader as my eyes see it as my mind intended and I don't see the error... unless it's someone else that did the writing, then I can. Strange, huh?

I'm glad you're back. I'm catching up...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home