Monday, April 10, 2006

Science Podcasts

OK, OK...I know it's really dorky, but I thought I should let you know that you can now watch podcasts made available from Science/AAAS.

I really wish that they would find people who don't sound like NPR broadcasters, though. I found the lack of prosody to be more boring than a medical school lecture--I would rather listen to the "door closing" subway message over and over again. Morgan Freeman must be a little out of their price range--or maybe he only does penguin-related work.

On a different note--I discovered today that I am in a bit of a pickle. I love that saying--the pickel one.

One of the top scientists in my field retracted several papers recently. This individual did not retract all of the papers related to my area of interest, but quite a few of the key articles are now taboo to use. This is, of course, after I've written a large section of my thesis discussing the findings in these now retracted papers, and how their data may relate to mine.

So, like a good little scientist, I've taken out those references. I'm a bit puzzled, however, over what to do next. Do I take out the findings from papers that haven't been retracted, even though the authors of the non-retracted papers--and, thus, the potential "data manipulators"--are on the retracted papers? There are very few people doing research in this area, so I don't have many other sources to turn to.

Why do people have to lie? They did it on purpose to make my life harder. It's all about me.

9 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

Ooh, juicy! Sorry about the rewriting though. Seems like you ought to ask an appropriate old fogey about whether jetison the other refs or how to finesse an alert to the reader if you use them, which Miss Manners notwithstanding, seems like it might be prudent, if not called for.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Yuck with the retraction issues. I'll have to check out the AAAS podcasts though. I listen to Nature's weekly podcast which does manage to inject some bits of week british humor. You might enjoy it.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Ouch with regards to the retractions! Not sure about what you should do regarding the other references. Hope it all works out ok for you though!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Oh my god. Are you freaking? I'd be freaking. I hope this is just a minor section of your lit review.

It's kind of funny (not ha ha funny) as I was thinking the other day about how easy it would be to just fabricate data (I wouldn't, but it'd be easy). the whole thing totally sucks. I'm sorry. Want me to beat anyone up?

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for teaching me "prosody"!

I've been looking for a word like that for some time now!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Shrinky--I have a whole list of people for you to beat up...It's probably just karma for the 5-grade science experiment that I "fudged".

Murky--We need a Miss Manners in science. Maybe that is my calling.

Science Woman--I'll check out Nature's casts.

Katie--thanks for the empathy.

Michelle--I love great science words that can be thrown out at uncomfortable dinner parties.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I have nothing for this.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger sue said...

Wow. You open my eyes to a whole new world of issues... I had no idea that these things could happen. Wow.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Man oh man - between that and the freezer failure you are beating about the hardest path possible towards a PhD. Condolences on that. I'd be banging down my advisor's door on the paper thing, I think. Bummer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home