Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ta da

I am now officially an unemployed doctor.
I blame everything on the Bush administration, if anyone asks.

Thank you for all of your kind words and support.

My defense went well, I think. It is all a blur. My family and my husband's family came (our defenses are open to the public). They took up 3 rows in the auditorium--it was cute to see them all sitting down there nodding. I put a few jokes into my slides just for them, but they were so afraid to do or say anything that they were the only ones not laughing.

My committee members were not so bad. They ended up fighting a lot amongst themselves. One member was particularly difficult, but he was smiling so I knew he was doing it on purpose, and it thus didn't bother me. They picked me apart as though my thesis was horrible, and then passed me with distinction when they were done. It's all a game, and I appreciate a good roast, so no harm no foul.

I have a few corrections to make, but nothing major. They want me to prepare an additional manuscript now after seeing all of the data, but that's fine with me. I have time to do these sorts of things as I have no real job to go to.

My husband was wonderful in getting my family where they needed to be. He threw me a really nice backyard party, and it was good to celebrate something for a change. He also revealed that he's taking me to Belize for a vacation. We haven't been on a vacation since our honeymoon 6 years ago, other than quick weekend trips to the beach here, which really isn't a "beach" in my opinion. I can not wait. I'm going to see Mayan ruins and fish off the coast and snorkel. I can not wait. I have said it a million times, but I'll say it again: my husband is the most amazing person on earth. I must keep drugging his drinks so that he does not catch on and run away.

Everyone keeps asking me how I feel now that it's over. I guess I'm feeling a little lost right now. I am no longer a student, but I'm not faculty. I'm not even a post doc. I'm just me, sitting here drinking vitamin water and blogging, staring at my retired neighbors out the window. I haven't been me for so long that it's just a bit overwhelming. I keep feeling like I'm going to cry, and then I start giggling madly. I stare at my bookcases filled with papers and text books and wonder what I should do with them. Do any of you need some fluff to read? Perhaps a little "DNA Repair and Mutagenesis" or "Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience"?

Now I'm giggling again.

19 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger AAYOR said...

BRAVO!!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Hooray! Many, many congratulations Dr. SFTR! So happy for you! :)

I'm so glad the defense went so well and that you had tons of support in the audience, and a wonderful party afterwards. And, wow, Belize? You're going to have an amazing time...can't wait to hear all about it.

Keep giggling...you deserve it! :)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Congratulations! Enjoy the just being you :)

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Katie said...

Yay for you! And your husband for appreciating you as you so obviously deserve! :) Congrats on finishing up and giggling despite the Bush administration.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

Congratulations!! Enjoy that well-deserved vacation!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger K said...

Congrats a thousand times over! Have fun in Belize relaxing and being yourself again.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Many Congrats!!!! I knew you would do it!

I think that your husband is a keeper! What a sweet man! Certainly keep on drugging his drinks! Hee hee!

Enjoy Belize!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger comebacknikki said...

Whoo-hoo!!! Congratulations! :)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Congratulations!

As a master of free time (dot bombed into extended umemploynment and then inherited some money so I screwed off for a while) I recommend trying to think of at least ONE of those 'if only I had the time' things you never get around to and doing it to the max. If you can remember one, that is. Otherwise, enjoy your time off and Belize - SQUEAL! Sounds heavenly.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

Hip-hip...HOORAY! Congratulations on the doctorate as well as on your husband and that paradisiacal sounding vacation. Now when you snorkel with the colored fishes I don't want you thinking of molecules. Except maybe for the neurotoxic species that get in your way, and anyway for them your focus should be physiologic or gymnastic even.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Murky Thoughts said...

Can we call you Doctor Falters now?

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Lina said...

Yay! Congrats!

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

Nice work! Congratulations!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I am so intimidated leaving you comments.

You are wayyy fancy.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous angiebean said...

Congratulations DR! You have earned some R&R. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Hope you keep blogging as you transition into your new life. You are one of the few women scientist bloggers who tries to stay positive.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

Well done, and congratulations!

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Honey, you absolutely effing ROCK.
xo

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Spc. Freeman said...

Congrats! Must have been nerve-wracking, but I think you deserve a little time off, for the moment. Cheers!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger phu said...

thanks for the useful tips.
check on google for “cast spells radionics software”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home