Friday, June 09, 2006

Books For Fun

I'm reading "The Book Thief" right now as part of my "return to a normal, happy life" plan.

I really, really like it so far.

I also read "Why Girls Are Weird", but I hated it. I was so bored reading it that I almost stabbed myself in the eye to keep myself awake.

Thankfully, I received a lot of books and bookstore gift cards as graduation presents. I didn't want presents, but I think my husband pushed people in that direction so that I didn't blow all of our savings on fun reads after I defended. Little did he know that I would be busier after defending than I was in the weeks prior to finishing.

He has threatened (lovingly) to drop me off at the bookstore every weekend for two hours so that I could read books there without buying them. I told him to blame my mother for allowing me to take speedreading courses when I was 12 and that owning the book was part of the fun. I also told him that without books, I may be forced to take up shoe shopping. He chose the book option.

10 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Penguin said...

I'd opt for books over shoes myself.
Found your blog through Clare. I like your comments there and your entries here :)
I sincerely hope your 'return to normal' plan works out for you. If it does, and I pay you enough, will you share the secret recipe with me?!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

I totally agree, owning books is definitely part of the fun! Enjoy your relaxation reading...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger she falters to rise said...

Penguin, thank you for stopping by. I always share my secret recipes because I'm not very fond of secrets:)

Thanks Pink!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I feel the same way about books. Sometimes when I am stressed out or depressed (which is often these days), I go to the bookstore and just spend hours there. Usually they have to kick me out at closing time.

I will take books over shoes anyday...

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger William the Coroner said...

Someone once told me that the answer to Freud's question "What do women want?" was, in fact, "shoes." The person speaking was a woman. I won't tell you what she said men want.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger trisha said...

I totally HATE "Why Girls Are Weird!" She tries waaaayyy too hard and she sucks the life right out of me.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

shoes *and* books. You need shoes to be able to reach books. I kept meaning to read why girls are weird - I guess I'll skip it then.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Love books...which is why I'm part of two book clubs.

I also wanted to thank you for your kind comment re: the loss of my beloved dog. I appreciate it.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Breena Ronan said...

If a book is so boring you have to think about stabbing yourself, why keep reading it?

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I used to spend every Saturday in our local bookshop reading books. I didn't buy any for all the years I lived there. But the bookshop was awesome, with cosy leather armchairs around a fireplace, a cafe that you could eat/drink in WHILE reading books you hadn't bought, and staff came around to offer free apples and cups of tea to you if you were sitting in the armchairs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home